Bambi Awards Speech, Berlin 2002


"Thank you...Thank you...Thank you very much. .... [towards Boris Becker] .... How are you? ...... [Becker: I'm well]. Thank you so much for the nice words. Oh boy. ..... [Michael takes reading glasses out of his pocket] ..... I'm sorry, I have to wear these reading glasses. Oh Jesus...here we go.
Dear Dr. Burda, dear Dr. Turnhofer, ladies and gentlemen.
I have wonderful memories of my visits to Germany. Coming back to Berlin...Berlin, a city so full of energy - it's very special to me.
Berlin, ich liebe dich! [German for: Berlin, I love you!]
September 11 has changed our world. Not long ago the Berlin wall came down. But recently new walls have been built. In 1989, people in Germany said: "Wir sind ein Volk." [German for: We are one nation.]
We are Germans. We are Armenians. French, Italian, Russian, American, Asian, African... many other nationalities. We are Christians, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu. We are black, we are white. We are a community of some many differences, so complex and yet so simple. We do not need to have war!!!
And to the children of Germany I want to say this: We need you! The world needs you! Please go for your dreams. Whatever your ideals...you can become whatever you want to become. Become an astronaut or famous scientist, famous doctors. And of course become an artist...[he grins] ... and maybe you get a Bambi award like me.
I want you to know that I love Germany and that you have a very special place in my heart. I love you so much ... really!
Always appreciate the gift of life. Be happy and have fun.
I love you."


Bambi Awards Speech, Berlin 2002



No comments: